Jon Elson

Default Clutch master cylinder rebuild kits?

Gunner wrote:

It wouldnt be so bad, as the truck has 337,000 miles on it, but I put
a new master cylinder on it less than a year ago when the $%#@!!!!
slave cylinder went into meltdown. That ******* wraps around the pilot
shaft INSIDE the bell housing and carries the throw out bearing. So to
replace it, you have to drop the tranny. And its nearly all plastic
and when it goes into melt down..it really does melt down.

Yeah, my experience has been that replacement parts NEVER last as long
as the originals. Oh, except that time the pressure plate blew on my Vega
with 18000 miles on it! I had a choice of 2 clutch discs, about 7.5"
and 14"
and of course chose the big one. It was now practically impossible for
anyone
but me to drive it (one I learned the magic clutch trick that I called
the "inertial
dump", contrary to proper technique in all other vehicles) but the big
clutch
disc was still going strong at 76000 miles!

Otherwise, absolutely NOTHING I've ever replaced on a car lasted as long
as the original part.

Jon