Dave Plowman (News)

Default Mounting a consumer unit neatly

In article ,
Smudger smudger@here wrote:
I'm glad we got on to this 'cos I've always wandered about it. My
parents' house was built in 1960. The power is in T&E (but stranded not
solid including the earth wire)

7/029". But TW&E in this size was in rubber before PVC, and then for a few
years before metrication. Which I can't remember when exactly, but about
'70.

and the lights were wired in VIR singles
with the live hopping between the switches and the neutral hopping
between the ceiling roses. The lighting definitely wasn't earthed,
although the steel conduit used in the garage had a piece of bare
stranded earth wire wrapped around it in the ceiling void (this wire
went back to the 2-way earth block).

Are we saying then that the switch over from rubber to pvc happened
around that time and the sparks just installed whatever was available?

Certainly using singles for lighting existed at the same time as TW&E for
power. I don't think the modern loop in loop out ceiling rose was around
then - I think that also came about 10 years later.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.