Jim Wilson

Default ROS;PSA or H&L

Edwin Pawlowski wrote...

You don't have a sander for each grit?

(G) Hey, that's not as extravagant as it sounds!

I use a Dynabrade ROS, which is, IMHO, the best ROS out there.
Unfortunately, they require a pretty beefy compressor to run, so they're
not suitable for a lot of home shops. They are also a bit expensive.
Having one for each grit would take a bigger crowbar than any I own.

Also, I prefer the PSA disks, for several reasons, but often do not use a
disk up before needing to switch to the next grit. To avoid the
horrendous expense (big grin, here), I simply keep a separate BUP (back-
up pad) for each grit. They're only a few bucks apiece, and I only need
two: one for 100 grit, and the other for 150.

When the project calls for coarser sanding, I use a belt sander. For
finer sanding, I switch to the Speed-Bloc. The Speed-Bloc is the only
sander that I frequently switch sandpaper grades on.

So, to make a long story even longer, I *almost* have a sander for each
grit.

Jim