Jon Elson

Default making a spline shaft and golf cart motors

V8TR4 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a project that will be using a pair of golf cart motors. The ones I
have looked at all have a female splined shaft of either 10 or 19 splines.
http://www.thesolar.biz/Electric%20Vehicle%20Motors.htm
Does anyone know of an adapter to allow someone to hook up a sprocket set up
or similar? Does anyone know of any other similar motors that already have a
sprocket or belt pully?

You are very lucky the motor has the female spline. That is much harder
to make.
Those motors have no front bearing! So, you have to make up a motor end
plate,
with bearings, mounting flange to the motor frame, and your output shaft.

If it turns out I have to make this shaft myself, what type of steel would
be best? I will be using a table top milling machine to spline this shaft on
one end and a keyway for a pully on the other. Any info and help would be
much appreciated.

I hope you have a lathe, too, to make the plate. You will pretty much
need a dividing
head to turn the shaft for the spline teeth, too.

Jon