Jerry Built

Default Garage door removel / planning permission

Mike Harrison wrote:
Peter Parry wrote:
"Tony Gent" wrote:
I have a garage that my car will not fit in, so I am thinking of
taking the up n over door off and replacing it with tongue and
groove. Then putting a house style front door in and making a
small work area. My question is are there any planning regulation
that will stop me from doing this. Can my neighbour complain to
the council etc.

It should be fine if you just do it, it's just a garage/workshop
anyway (although why people'd want to keep a wet, salty car in
their workshops beats me).

Why not do what many do and simply leave the garage door in place and
build a partition wall immediately behind it? Make the door around
the corner out of sight and you have what you wish whilst maintaining
the same look as other houses.

That's exactly what I did - remember that a metal door is very
thermally conductive, so you need a decent layer of insulation
between the door and the partition. If the inside is heated you
will also get a lot of condensation on the surface of the door.

I removed an up'n'over steel door from my garage (mind your *fingers*
on the *spring*, Malcom!), and the partition built as above. This
gave me an extra metre of space, worth having, *and* meant a
considerable reduction in draughts and in-blown water. The construction
involved removing the door as above, and the two concrete uprights.
I laid a 4x2 about 1" off the (uneven) concrete floor, and constructed
studwork off this to another 4x2 under the concrete lintel that ran
above the up'n'over. A 6' x 30" door with two locks is on one side,
a square window above work bench height on the other. I inserted a
DPM under the base plate, and packed in mortar (sharp/cement/
waterproofer). Facing is 1/2" Sterling board overlaid with horizontal
feather edge. Great! No leaks, or draughts, or condensation!