Sam Goldwasser

Default contactor or relay recommendation

"Rich.Andrews" writes:

Solid state relays seem like a good idea but isn't there issues with them?
At one point in time I worked at a hospital that used SS relays to control
the TV sets in the patient rooms. When they got a new batch of TV sets
in, many of the sets failed in less than a month. The SS relays were
blamed and the relays were changed out. We never could figure out what
the issue was with the old ones as they worked fine with the old sets.
The old sets were zenith Chromacolor II and the new ones were Chromacolor
III. The old sets had a transformer and the new ones did not.

The specs should tell you what they can drive. SS relays have come
a long way. I don't think controlling a small transformer would
be a problem.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.