David Hearn

Default Adventures in Loft-land

Andy Hall wrote:
On 15 Jan 2004 21:03:12 GMT, wrote:

So I managed to prise the Pentascanner from the enveloping clutches
of our resident LAN wiring guru, after promising to take better care
of it than my own most delicate bodyparts, etc. etc. I'm happy (to
the point of smugness) to report that all 28 of the Cat5/5e runs
rate a decent PASS according to the Pentascanner. Because it's only
a house, all the runs are quite short in datacom-cabling terms - all
are around the 15m mark. So, although the powersum NEXT measurements
are not massively inspiring, just "decent enough" (an average of 37
dB, worst one 33.4dB), and the return loss averages at 16dB with a
couple as poor as 12dB, the shortness of the runs means that there's
so little attenuation that the ACR (moral equivalent of
signal-to-noise ratio) is massively overspec. Dunno if we'll ever
run Gigabit (1000BaseT) over these links, but they're certainly good
for 100BaseT.

Personally I think it was a fluke.......

Yes, a Fluke Pentascanner....