Russ Fairfield

Default Apple

I hate to disagree with everyone, but Apple wood seems to have developed an
"urban legend" around a nasty behavior. I have never found that Apple takes any
more caution than many other common turning woods, and there are a lot of other
woods that will warp and crack more. Maybe I am just lucky.

My experience with Apple has been to let it do all of the movement and cracking
BEFORE turning it on the lathe. I do this by cutting it into lathe ready round
bowl blanks and coating them 100% all over with AnchorSeal or other wax. Get
the AnchorSeal good and thick by applying additional coats before it has a
chance to dry. Then set it in the corner of the shop until next year.

Don't try to make the blanks too big or too thick. 10 and 12" diameter and 4"
or less thickness would be the maximum, and stay away from the pith.

You will lose a few of them, but the results are worth the wait. Dry Apple
turns and sands easily.

Russ Fairfield
Post Falls, Idaho
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/