Routerman P. Warner

Default Router Bit for Cutoff work?

You're at the limit to pattern rout; much thicker then shaper might be
called for. BB is tougher than hell to rout. For the short run make
pattern from 3/8 or 1/2" MDF and maybe stage rout.
Stage trimmers (shank bearing guided) at the
http://www.patwarner.com/patternbits.html link.

Okay, this gonna sound weird . . but every router bit in my stable is of
the "Edge Forming" or "Rabbetting" variety.

What I Wanna Do:

I'm working with some panels that are beyond my "Comfort Level" for
tablesaw work. I've some baltic birch plywood that I've cut to rough
size, laminated to ~1-1/2" thickness.

I now want to cut these to "Finished Size."

I think the best way to do this is with a router--some contours that I
can use a masonite guide to cut.

What's the best way to do this?

A top-bearing flush cutter, making my guide the exact contour?

What about long straight cuts, running the router along a straight edge?
That's something I envision doing fairly frequently--it's be easier to
control than my current circular saw method. Is there a special bit for
that or would I just use a straight cutter?

Thanks.

Charles