Andrew Gabriel

Default Mortar mix for sandstone copings

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:

I found that the lime addition - which I really did to get a color and
texture - seemd to make the mortar stickier.

Yes, but not once it's set. The lime eventaully becomes chalk,
which is not known for its tensile strength. I do use lime in
mortar for work in lime mortar buildings, but that's precisely
because you don't want the mortar firmly bonded to the bricks.
I wouldn't use it where you want the mortar to glue something in
place, like the top exposed layer of a wall.

For the colour effect alone, you can buy white cement.

--
Andrew Gabriel