Maxprop

Default Apple

"Ken Moon" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message

Thanks to nature (wind) and my neighbor (cum chainsaw), I've just

acquired
sizeable lot of apple wood. Some of the pieces are 20-24" in diameter,

most
roughly 14", and the heartwood is a medium red/brown.

Any thoughts on turning apple? Ease? Precautions? Finishing?

===========================
Max,
Try turning a few pieces like a rimless platter, but with a small spigot

at
center. Allow it to dry. It will warp like crazy in the process, leaving

you
with some "art" pieces. One thing, though, is that you need to do it fast,
as it will warp on the lathe while you're turning it. You may be able to
slow this down with a water spray bottle. Good luck with it.

This stuff is amazing, Ken, and you're absolutely right. I turned an 8"
rough bowl today, wrapped it in newspaper, placed it in a plastic bag, and
checked it about an hour ago. Indeed it was already becoming oblong as it
dried. I may try boiling my rough turnings, but then again I may split the
stuff up and have some fragrant firewood instead. Gotta admit I'm
disappointed. The heartwood is lovely.

Max