Martin H. Eastburn

Default Schrade closes their doors

I believe one of the issues is custom and tech like.
Grandfathers supported Schrade because you could find them in butcher ships
slicing and dicing meat of all kinds. They would have the cutlery at home
also. It was a natural extension for them to have in pockets and give a known
good pocket knife to sons and friends. There were a number of old names
that have changed or vaporized. I grew up with a pocket knife in my pocket
from the 5 grade on. Had larger knives for other tasks. Always had string
or box to cut.

Martin

Bart Bailey wrote:

In Message-ID:CL8Sc.280722$Oq2.115158@attbi_s52 posted on Tue, 10 Aug
2004 18:48:02 GMT, John Kunkel wrote: Begin

"Gunner" wrote in message
. ..

http://www.midhudsoncentral.com/site...BRD=1769&PAG=4
61&dept_id=74969&rfi=6

To paraphrase Denzel Washington, explain this to me like I'm an 8 year old:

"Among the factors hurting Schrade's bottom line was that knife orders fell
sharply after the terrorist hijackings of Sept. 11, 2001, led to sharp
objects being banned from airplanes."

The little old ladies selling shivs to the tourists from their pushcarts
in the lobbies of all the airports were no longer allowed to do so, and
we all can see what a devastating blow that was for Schrade's sales
volume. ;-)

OTOH: having all those edges confiscated would suggest there might be a
boost in replacement sales.

Wonder how long before we begin seeing the old familiar Schrade brand
again in WalMart, but made in China this time?

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer