David Wade

Default 80degree hollowing tools

A) If made correctly the cutting point of the tool should be directly in
line with the main shaft and the straight part of that shaft needs to
ride on the tool rest, not part of the hook.

B) Keep the cutting edge just a little ABOVE center, maybe in the 9:30
to 10:00 position and the toolrest should also be at or just above
center. If you use a scraper on the outside you probably know how to
present it to the wood. The same rules apply on the inside of a form but
we all invariably misapply them at first. Try thinking in terms of the
scraper being lifted up into an overhang. On the inside that puts you
above center and on the outside below center.

Good luck.
David

MaurieTaylor wrote:

I am woodturner of just a few years experience. I have recently received a
80degree hollowing tool as a gift. Its made of 6mm square HSS with a 80
degree bend in the bar. I presume the idea is to allow you to reach in and
cut the inside rim of hollow vessels. I have tried a few times to use it but
seem to always have a dig-in.
There is obviously a trick to taming this little fella.
Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Maurie