Greg O

Default Home Gas Water Heater / Tankless

"Claudia" wrote in message
when I asked a couple of weeks ago about tankless, there was only a

lukewarm
yuk yuk response. the bid I have to install a new tankless is $1500
minimum + 800 for the unit. so far looking at $700 for the Bradford White
Defender.

Altho I am inclined to the tankless, here in Ventura County the supply
houses and the plumbers are really cold to them. So I had kinda taken it
off the list of options. Now I see that someone else asked today about

WH.

Sounds fine to me. Often the more "high tech" the equipment is, the more
money you will spend on repairs over it's life. Stay with a natural draft,
good old standard water heater. It will probably cost you $0 in repairs over
it's life.

I have a customer that has a home where all he can put in is a power vented
heater. We replaced the heater 4 years ago for $1200. Last year the fancy
electronic controlled gas valve died. This year the venter motor decided to
get noisey. The ventor motor comes only as an assembly, price to replace
with labor, $500! He decided he can live with the noise as long as it runs,
then he will replace the heater!

I have a natural draft water heater in my home, 12 years old now. Other than
to flush the sediment every year or two, I have not touched it.

A side on your home warranty. Are you getting your money's worth? If you
took the money you pay in premiums it probably would more than cover any
repairs you need. Also most warranty companies are tough to collect from as
you are finding out. Too much fine print and exclusions in the contract.
If I had to pay someone to repair my HVAC equipment, water heater, and large
appliances, over the 12 years it would have cost me maybe $200. I can't get
insurance that cheap.
Greg