Åmund Breivik

Default Schrade closes their doors

"John Kunkel" wrote in message
news:CL8Sc.280722$Oq2.115158@attbi_s52...

"Gunner" wrote in message

http://www.midhudsoncentral.com/site...BRD=1769&PAG=4
61&dept_id=74969&rfi=6

To paraphrase Denzel Washington, explain this to me like I'm an 8 year

old:

"Among the factors hurting Schrade's bottom line was that knife orders

fell
sharply after the terrorist hijackings of Sept. 11, 2001, led to sharp
objects being banned from airplanes."

Perhaps Schrade, like Victorinox and some other makers, sold a substantial
percentage of their goods in airport gift shops. Many of these shops are
inside the security checkpoints, like in the tax-free areas at international
airports. IIRC there was some brief discussion shortly after 9/11 on wether
or not Victorinox pocket knives could legally be sold in airports, if they
came in sturdy packaging that you'd need a second knife to open. I believe
this was mentioned in our local newspaper, because one shop at a nearby
airport made a substantial percentage of their profits from selling pocket
knives.

--
Aamund Breivik