The Natural Philosopher

Default Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:53:34 UTC, Capitol wrote:

FYI the US spelling is frequently the correct one. The modern English
spellings were a result of the intelligentsia adding a French
flavour(flavor was the original spelling) to the dictionaries of the
19th century.

Yes, US versions of words are often the original (purer) version, or
indeed where they use a different word it is ours that has been
corrupted or changed.

There is no 'correct' spelling other than what is accepted by all to BE
correct spelling. Correct spelling , grammar and punctuation is not
about fancy derivations, its about maintaining consistent standards that
are universal so that a sentence cannot be misinterpreted. (Or as in
IMMS case remain completely unintelligible)

If I see another 'you are a looser' post or someone who talks about
'losing the reins of industry' I shall vomit.

Viz. a post from another group in which it was stated that Prozac had
been banned in order to help the all the girls under 18 who had
committed suicide. To which I pointed out that it was a bit late really...

I'll leave you with a thought and a riddle

'why is Milton Keynes like a very old tart?'
'Because everyone's been there once or twice, but no one wants to spend
the rest of their life there'.