HvacTech2

Default condensate drain

Hi Joseph, hope you are having a nice day

On 10-Aug-04 At About 08:36:56, Joseph Meehan wrote to All
Subject: condensate drain

JM From: "Joseph Meehan"

JM Curmudgeon wrote:
I'm selling a house where the indoor airhandler for the heat pump has
a vertical condensate drain that runs thru the floor into the crawl
space.

JM It
was installed that way new. Now, an inspector for the buyer lists
that drain as a "fault" because it

JM is
not trapped. Does a vertical drain need to be trapped. I'm not going
to replace it, but now I'm curious if the inspector's right or not.
Pro AC tech opinion requested ( since I dare not ask this question
on

JM their
newgroup).

JM If it connects to a sanitary sewer, it needs a trap. That prevents
JM sewer gasses from coming back in through it.

Actually no it doesn't if you think carefully about it. I have changed many
drains due to the fact they dry out in winter and cause a bad smell when in
heating mode. you should never run a condensate drain to a stack or sanitary
pipe.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "Its hard for me to buy clothes because I'm not my size."- s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail