Eugene

Default Router recommendations

wrote:

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 10:29:18 -0400, Richard Clements
wrote:

Paul in MN wrote:

I've narrowed my search down to a couple of routers, mostly based on
price.
Both seem to be at least fairly regarded. One is the Hitachi M12V that
can get for $161.00, and the Dewalt DW621 for $179.00. I realize the
Hitachi is higher powered than the Dewalt, but as a non-pro (weekend
putzer)
I'm not sure if it is needed. On the other hand with the extra ponies
it is
still a tad cheaper. The router will be mounted in a table and will
stay
there. Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations/tales to tell on either
of these.
Thanks in advance,

Paul

dose either have a spindle lock, I got a makita, nice router, but it
doesn't have a spindle lock and it's an endless source of frustration with
the
knuckle breaker wrench set up, especially in my table. it may be a little
silly thing but I'm never getting router with out one EVER AGAIN!

I have a stable of routers, some with spindle locks, some with dual
wrenches.

dual wrenches wins every time in my shop.

Same here even in the table (mine is a small benchtop table) when I try to
lock the spindle and then pull one wrench I have to hold the other hand on
the table to keep it from scooting around.**I*made*mine*tall*enough*to*pull
the motor out to change bits anyway and its impossible to hold still with
one hand while pulling the wrench with the other.**Even*in*the*router*base
you have to try to try to hold the router from moving while working the
wrench, its a whole lot easier to put two wenches side by side squeeze them
together with one hand while they both pull against each other with the
same amount of leverage.**One*of*the*reasons*I*replaced*my*sears* router*was
because it had a spindle lock but didn't have the other nut to use two
wrenches so to tighten it down I had to sit/lay on it sometimes (sears
collets have to be real tight to keep the bit from moving).**I*think*all
the reviewers who say routers need a spindle lock haven't changed enough
bits to know what they are doing.