Ken Moon

Default Apple

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks to nature (wind) and my neighbor (cum chainsaw), I've just acquired

sizeable lot of apple wood. Some of the pieces are 20-24" in diameter,

most
roughly 14", and the heartwood is a medium red/brown.

Any thoughts on turning apple? Ease? Precautions? Finishing?

Max,
Try turning a few pieces like a rimless platter, but with a small spigot at
center. Allow it to dry. It will warp like crazy in the process, leaving you
with some "art" pieces. One thing, though, is that you need to do it fast,
as it will warp on the lathe while you're turning it. You may be able to
slow this down with a water spray bottle. Good luck with it.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX