Robert Bonomi

Default Straight Edge

In article ,
Charlie Self wrote:
Robert Bonomi states:

I cheated. I got a 10' metal stud at the lumber yard. I think it was a
whopping $2.79. clamps at each end, *and* some 'brace' strips against
the back of it, clamped down at the back of the stock, to keep it from
flexing. and 'awaaaaaaay we go!'. works like a charm.

For maybe six bucks, would 2 of those things work if you tack welded one on top
of the other about every 6-8"? No flex to deal with then, not much thicker,
twice as heavy, but IIRC, they are pretty light anyway?

I dunno. I don't have welding capability. grin

They're available with the metal in several thicknesses, but even the 'heavy'
ones are still very light as far as total mass goes.

I suspect one could stiffen things considerably by using a two (or more)
'in parallel', i.e. in a 'UU', or 'UUU' arrangement.

As long as the stud is straight to start with, it clamps down straight.
and there is 'merely' the matter of dealing with any flexing that might
occur from side-stresses while making the cut. I tend to have an abundance
of scraps in the sub 4' range, that are well-suited for use as temporary
cross-bracing.