Eric Tonks

Default condensate drain

I found with my unit, that the condensate drain is on the pressurized side
of the fan, this caused air to blow through the drain line, which in turn
caused the liquid to be blown through the pipe. I put on a small trap to
hold some water and it allowed the water to slowly drip through the tube.

"Curmudgeon" wrote in message
That I know...

So why do horizontal condensate drain lines from AC units have a trap

bend?
They connect to nothing but air.
The only thing I can figure is to keep insects and the like from crawling
into the unit.
But again, a trap bend in a vertical line connected to nothing would make

no
sense...for either gas or insects.

co"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Curmudgeon wrote:
I'm selling a house where the indoor airhandler for the heat pump has

vertical condensate drain that runs thru the floor into the crawl

space.
It
was installed that way new.
Now, an inspector for the buyer lists that drain as a "fault" because

it
is
not trapped.
Does a vertical drain need to be trapped.
I'm not going to replace it, but now I'm curious if the inspector's

right
or not.
Pro AC tech opinion requested ( since I dare not ask this question on

their
newgroup).

If it connects to a sanitary sewer, it needs a trap. That prevents
sewer gasses from coming back in through it.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math