L. M. Rappaport

Default Above ground or below ground Oil tank?

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:36:22 GMT, JohnB wrote
(with possible editing):

mike wrote:
I currently have a 400 gallon underground oil tank for heating my house...
the tank is 11 years old and i moved here last here.. I was thinking about
getting an above the ground oil tank, because i worry that someday it could
spring a leak and would be an enviromental disaster...since everyone up here
has well-water...

was wondering what your opinions are on an above the ground oil tank instead
of the underground one.. I just talked to my oil company over the phone and
they said i would have to substitute kerosene for the oil during the winter
time if i had an above-ground oil tank since the temperature here in
north-east PA gets down to around -10 faurunheit at times.. i never know
this before.. and kerosene costs more money too..

any input would be appreciated..

mike

I live in Northern New Jersey, so I have about the same climate
you do. My underground oil tank was installed circa 1955 when the
house was built. I have been worried about it since we moved
here in 1988. Last fall I contracted with my oil company to
install a new surface tank and remove the old underground tank.
The new tank was installed and filled in November 2003. We are
still dickering about removing the old tank because it is too
close to the neighbor's house to use the backhoe they usually use
to excavate the dirt and pull the old tank.

The trick that makes our surface tank work in cold weather is an
electric heating tape wrapped around the output valve. The
installers did not get it right the first time and the water
which condensed inside the tank while it was still empty froze
and blocked the oil flow. Not fun to wait for the service tech
to put in the heater tape with snow on the ground.

You can get condensation even with oil in the tank. As the tank gets
lower, air enters through the vent and moisture can condense on the
metal walls. Being heavier than oil it goes to the bottom. The other
side effect is rust.

Fortunately it is easy to cure. Each fall you should add "tank guard"
or a similar product. It is just alcohol which will mix with the
water and prevent rust.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com