Lawrence Wasserman

Default Straight Edge

In article 4hTRc.2207$73.982@lakeread04, ****** wrote:
Hi,

I plan on building built in bookcases for my new home. I plan on using a
veneer type plywood available in 4' by 8' sheets. The bookshelves will be
72" in height.

What is the preferred method to make the long cuts? I was thinking a skill
saw for the rough cut then finding an 8 foot straight edge and cleaning the
edge up with a router.

Anyone have an idea on who makes a ONE PIECE 8 foot straight edge?

Thanks,

Assuming you are buying more than one sheet of plywood, you can put 2
sheets up on sawhorses, offset the long edge of the top sheet from the
bottom sheet an appropriate distance to use it as a fence for your
circular saw, clamp it, then rip off a strip a few inches wide from the
bottom sheet. Now you have an 8 foot straightedge.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland