Al Reid

Default Router recommendations

"Todd" wrote in message om...
I have two recommendations....

1. 1/2" shank plunge router is best in my opinion, you can always
make it stationary, but you can't make a non plunge router into one.
Being 1/2" you will have lots of power for using those large bits too.

2. Stay away from the Sears routers with the big "ring" that you
have to screw to adjust the bit height. They are a real pain if you
are trying to adjust the height from under a router table. The rings
tend to be really hard to turn unless you are part WWF wrestler.

I whole heartedly support point 2. I had one of those for about 9 months now. I had to use a strap wrench to adjust the height.
Last time I tried to adjust it ( after blowing out all of the sawdust with compressed air ) I spun the whole motor in the base.
That did a job on the plastic.

Now, why on earth did I buy a craftsman, you ask. Well, I had one for 18 years and it was great. The bearing began to wear and the
cut eas getting wavy. The craftsman was the only thing that fit my old router table. A couple of month later, I built a new table
becaus the panel raising bit would not fit thru te opening of the old table. Craftsman router adjustment freezes up. Not a happy
camper.

New insert and PC 7518 router due to be delivered by UPS on Friday. This, I hope, will be my last router for the forseeable future.

--
Al Reid

"How will I know when I get there...
If I don't know where I'm going?"