Mike Mitchell

Default More properties on sale with more than one agent

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:14:01 +0200, "
wrote:

Jerry Built wrote:

Mike Harrison wrote:
Mike Mitchell wrote:

I'm seeing an increasing number of properties locally which
have been for sale for some time and have now gone to multiple
agency. What benefits/disadvantages are involved (apart from
the obvious one of 2.5% commission instead on 1 - 1.5%) of
multiple agency?

1-1.5%?? Where! I'm paying 1.6% on a house I'm selling....

I sold a house in Peterborough 3 months ago and paid 1.8%+ vat. I got 4
quotes and chose the most expensive (other were down to 1.2%) Not really
sure why it just seemed they were the right agents.

House was sold in 3 days so IMHO the percentage I paid was fine given they
price was slightly above the going rate in that street and the house was a
dump.

So what was the magic touch? Please share it with us! I am always
hearing about properties that have "sold within days". In fact, my
first estate agent deluded me into accepting his higher valuation than
other agents' on the basis of a similar property to mine that had,
indeed, sold in a weekend only a couple of weeks earlier. However,
*that* instant sale fell through, and after I had placed my house on
the market with this high-valuing agent, that other property they'd
used as a yardstick was back on the market again. It subsequently sold
some weeks later for considerably less than the original asking price.

I suppose the only "magic wand" one can wave is the price tag. But I
have already reduced the price twice, the property is the cheapest (by
far) in the village (if you discount flats) and I'm going to wait
until September when the schools are back to see what happens.

But I do hope you really ARE a wizard and can wave some magic for me!

MM