G&M

Default RCD or not to RCD ...

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 23:14:31 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
Q was - To RCD protect a cooker and immersion or not .... the regs do

not
require it, but that may not be best practise.

I can see no reason not to RCD protect these. Even if there was a

nuisance
trip, the worse that can happen is a cold supper or bath.

There are a few exceptions though.

It's a good idea to have at least some lighting on unprotected
circuits. Then if the RCD trips, you are not also plunged into
darkness.

I would argue that my solution of two smaller CUs each with RCDs plus some
careful wiring around the house to ensure there is always a working light
nearby is safer. If room lights are on one but staircase and exits on the
other you'll never be far from a working light switch.

In any case one should either have some form of emergency lighting or a
torch nearby for power cuts which are frequent where we are and are
predicted to get worse everywhere.