papapeng

Default Bicycle Powered Sump Pump?

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 19:47:14 GMT, Andy Asberry
wrote:

A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.

Easily? During the Tour de France, a commentator remarked that Lance
Armstrong could produce 400 watts. He didn't say for how long, but it
left me with the impression that 400 was very impressive. Keep in mind
I don't even own a bicycle.

To put things in perspective Egyptian farmers still use the hand
cranked Archimedian screw to raise water for irrigation. Its made of
wood and is not an efficient machine. I haven't any idea how long the
farmer keeps at it. Hand cranking must be pretty tiresome. But the
method has been around for more than 2000 years and it gets the job
done.

As a side note; Armstrong made me proud to be an American. Not just
for his cycling skill but his self control. The first time one of
those oh-so-civil Frenchies spit on me, I would have had to stop and
punch some manners into him.

I think the spitter was a German fan of Ulrich something and the
whole idea was to upset Lance and screw up his concentration and
rhythm.