George E. Cawthon

Default Digital vs. dial thermostat

ATL wrote:

Is there any difference between a digital-programmable thermostat and
the old-fashioned dial thermostat? I am wondering about the
sensitivity of the digital vs. dial. Does anyone have a preference?
If so, why? The reason I ask is that last year I had the dial type,
but replaced it over the winter with a digital. It may be my
imagination, but it just seems that the a/c is kicking on over shorter
intervals than last year.

You bet. If you have a typical crappy mechanical type and switch to
an good electronic type there will be little variation in
temperature. But that means that the heater or A/C will cycle more
frequently. In my case I switched from a round mechanical (Honeywell)
with large swings in temperature to a Digital Programable (also
Honeywell) with about a degree variation in temperature). The
improvement in comfort is amazing.