chuck yerkes

Default Bicycle Powered Sump Pump?

Furthermore...

The total land area of the United States is approximately 9 *trillion*
square meters; thus, a collector array comprising only about one tenth of
one percent of the nation's land area could be sufficient to supply all
of its electricity needs.

Of course if my grocery store and drug store and all the other stores
down town and in malls weren't FULLY LIT with 6 tube fluorescents on
24x7 and if houses didn't have a standing draw of 1kw or more even when
everything is "off" (see wall warts, fast-on TVs, computers that turn on
from a keyboard button push, etc, etc),
then maybe we'd pull a tad less power.

Working at a giant data center and wth billions of desktops, I'd love to
start to see computers come out for new users that weren't necessarily
FASTER (do we really need 3GHz desktops?), but more efficient.

We hire people and give them 600-1GHz desktops, but it's just 2002 tech.

The cost of a CRT vs. an LCD is equal when you count the costs of AC and
the extra power over a couple years.

Having worked on trading floors, money/square foot savings are also huge.

Stick a WattsUP meter on your TVs and other appliances and see what it
costs for them to be "off" for a month.

Hell, throw 4 PV panels on your roof with an 800 watt inverter, it will
reduce your power bill and pay for itself in around 8 years at the outside.