ameijers

Default Driveway/Garage Drainage Problem

"Howie" wrote in message
Last August, we got a guy in to install a new concrete driveway connecting
to our garage (for cash if you know what I mean). The guy didn't slope it
correctly and, when it rains, the water run directly into the south-east
corner of our garage (see photo here):
http://eteamz.active.com/amtrakfastb...es/garage3.jpg.

The water runs along "line B", instead of along "line C" like it should of
(see photo from above).

Somehow, I have to get the water to run along "Line A" (it appears to be

the
best way to route the water), here is another couple of photos:
http://eteamz.active.com/amtrakfastb...es/garage1.jpg,
http://eteamz.active.com/amtrakfastb...es/garage2.jpg.

I just put in a paving stone patio a couple of weeks ago. My questions:

1) Should I call the guy up and complain? What can he do about it?

Remove
the driveway? What if he doesn't want to do anything about it? I can't

sue
a guy that I paid cash to do the job can I?

2) Could I use a layer of "Top and Bond" and make a 1 high ridge along

the
edge of the large garage door and along the rest of the garage south where
the water should run (along line A)?

3) Any other comments / advice / tips / suggestions?

Forget about trying to get patch mix to hold together as a curb- first time
you drive over it, it would break apart. You may be able to find some sort
of heavy rubber or metal garage threshold molding you can fasten down with
construction adhesive and some ramset studs, to coax the water where you
want it to go. Proper solution, short of ripping out end 8 feet of driveway
and starting over, is to rent a concrete saw (or hire someone) to cut a slit
trench in front of garage door. You then dig out and form a concrete trough
and cover it with a grate to drive over. Trench is sloped to whichever end
provides best drainage. If you get a lot of water, you may need a catch box
and drywell to accept the runoff. You don't want to encourage the water to
pond near the house, the better to avoid wet basement, etc. Your local
precast concrete place should be able to set you up with all the bits you
need for DIY, or a real paving company could knock it out in a couple days.
Of course, if you hire out, you should have them crunch the numbers both
way- drain trench vs. repaving end section. No idea what to say about going
after the original guy. Tradesmen working off the books like that are
usually pretty judgement-proof. Unless you can guilt him into trying again,
probably SOL. And if he screwed up something basic like that the first time,
do you really want him working for you again?

aem sends...