Rick Hughes

Default "angled" brick piers

"Lawrence Zarb" wrote in message
news:59301d82858d78cf87bd33db61ea7950.52329@mygate .mailgate.org...
I am going to build a garden wall of single thickness stretcher bond
construction with brick piers...My problem is that the wall will need to
have a turn mid point at ant agle of about 77 degrees. This will be a
the pier...Can anyone explain, ordirect me to a web site that explains
how to create the bond at the pier at an obscure angle?

It is reasonably easy to just create the dogleg and keep the bond going by
squint cutting the bricks at the pier ... i.e. rear edge of brick will be
longer than front edge.
If you want to do it neat .. mark with chalk and cut a groove about 5mm into
brick with angle grinder then chop through with bolster.

A good book with drawings of piers is "The BDA Guide to Successful Brickwork
" isbn 0 340 75899 6

Or the original Bricklayers apprentice required reading -
Elementary Principles of Brickwork Construction
J G V Proudman

A classic work, with loads of fold out detailed sheets on quoin work,
arches, piers, buttresses etc.

The level of detail is incredible - probably surpasses skill-set of many
current bricklayers.

Rick