Rick Hughes

Default RCD or not to RCD ...

"Lurch" wrote in message

You've obviously mis-read something somewhere. RCD=earth fault
protection, MCB=overload protection.

No not at all .... I refer to nusicance trippingt of RCD that is nothing at
all to do with overload protection.

A light bulb isn't earthed so wouldn't take out an RCD.

Wrong here I'm sorry I referred to lighting circuits not to light bulbs,
(but it could just be the sequence you are reading mail in) ... floreescents
are earthed and it is these that typically give the nuiscence tripping
reports, again an RCD would actiuvate not an MCB as there is an imbalance
but no overload.

You're thinking of MCB's which protect final circuits,

No I'm not - I am specifically referring to RCD protcetion.

If that's what you based the 3 classes of protection on then you might
not be the best person to be doing this project.

The 3 classes of protection are deliberate .... unprotrected, fire
protection and life protection - all defined separte calssses of
protection - exactly what I want on this project.

Do you have a comment on my qusetion ? I would be interested in your answer.

Q was - To RCD protect a cooker and immersion or not .... the regs do not
require it, but that may not be best practise.

Rick