Rick Hughes

Default RCD or not to RCD ...

"Owain" wrote in message
"Rick Hughes" wrote
| Now I prefer to have some protection to prvent fire hazard, and
| thus have all light ccts through a 100mA RCD which are much less
| prone to nuiscance tripping.

But having all your lighting ccts through a single RCD - of whatever
rating - means you lose all lighting on the opening of one protective
device.

Allo ny Hall & stairwell (and smoke detectors) are on non protected
circuit - so will have some light.

| My question is really pretty simple - do I protect Imeesrion
| and cooker or have them unprotected.

Well, if you need fire protection on your lighting circuits (and the only
reason I can think of in a normal dwelling would be if you have thatch

roof
or straw bale walls), why would you *not* need it on cooker and immersion
circuits?

Lighting circuits are low current and use generously over-specified cables
in most cases, compared to cooker and immersion circuits which may be
operating at close to maximum capacity for extended periods of time. If
anything, they're more likely to cause a fire hazard through poor
connections overheating that a lighting circuit.

appreciate your comments.