Paul in MN

Default Router recommendations

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 16:53:30 GMT, "Paul in MN"
wrote:

I've narrowed my search down to a couple of routers, mostly based on

price.
Both seem to be at least fairly regarded. One is the Hitachi M12V that I
can get for $161.00, and the Dewalt DW621 for $179.00. I realize the
Hitachi is higher powered than the Dewalt, but as a non-pro (weekend

putzer)
I'm not sure if it is needed. On the other hand with the extra ponies it

is
still a tad cheaper. The router will be mounted in a table and will stay
there. Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations/tales to tell on either

of
these.
Thanks in advance,

Paul

As having less women in your life is a key to happiness, having more
than one router is, also.

Get yaself the beefy 3hp, variable speed routah fer the table and get
yaself a sprightly job fer da other work that needs to be done.

Don't buy any router that only handles 1/4" bits.

Don't buy any routah that is less than a horsey and a half - anything
below that is a trimmer and not fit for a rounded life.

I'm a Porter-Cable Dome Top guy myself, but it's not a religious issue
with me and I also own a Dewalt 2hp ( but happen to think it's a pos
in comparison).

Considerations, such as the availability of aftemarket appendages
comes into the decision mix, and once again, I'd steer you towards the
PC.

Don't set any store by the fact that it might be able to handle a 3/8"
bit - I've never seen one in the wiild.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Thanks all. I think I'm going to go with the Hitachi to set up in a table
set up. I may build my own instead of buying which will give me enough
left over to buy another smaller unit as well. Thanks for all the info.

Paul