The Natural Philosopher

Default Woodburners and dry lining

4-LOM wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...

Grunff wrote:

4-LOM wrote:

What I need to know is: how far should the woodburner be from the
walls in order to stop it damaging them. Although I know that
plasterboard is fire retardant, I assume you can't have a heat source
too close to them permanently. Is the 6" of hearth enough, or do I
need more?

You need *a lot* more. Wood burners radiate a huge amount of heat when
they get going. I don't think you want any plasterboard within 2-3 feet
of the wood burner.

In reality, this means that you need to surround it with brick/stonework.

No. just use multibiard instead of plasterboard.

Don't use polystyrene insulation anywhere near tho. That IS dangerous.

Can I assume that any other commonly used insulation material IS safe?

More or less. All the others char and fume but don't really burn.

Not sure about IMM's famous celullose stuff tho. That probably burns
better than a baby soaked in Napalm.

And if I use multiboard, will this be sufficient to protect the wooden
battens behind it?

Its all a matter of how hot/how near. You can heat pslaterbaord up to
red heat. The cvardboard burns, teh gypsum goes crimbly and falls to
pieces. It is quite a good insulator.

Mutltiboard you can do the same to. It holds together better if you do.

Neither of them will protect woodwork directly behind if you play a
blowlamp over the top for long enough.

OTOH if its just a couple of hundred C, i'd say yes.

I do have the option of leaving the brick walls bare in this corner,
but they don't look very nice and I'd prefer to have them insulated
somehow.

ell, get teh stove in, light it, and nail a small piece of batten to the
hottest part of teh wall, and see if it chars. Then nail a bit of
plasterboard ovet the top and see what that does. If its obvious that
ist getting too hot, use multiboard. If necessary use sapcer strips
betwen the main board and the batten to increase insulation.