Tom Watson

Default Temperature Related Finishing Problem???

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 18:46:24 -0700, "Brian" wrote:

So, I've been dealing with Walnut recently and how to finish it.... I've
recently moved to where the weather has been very warm; high 90s to 100
degrees F, and probably warmer in the garage. I store all my varnishes,
oils, etc indoors where the temp is a nice 78. Now on to the problem....

I've been having a problem with ANY finish I apply to the Walnut immediately
turns it black. You name it... Waterlox, Arm-R-Seal, Seal-A-Cell, Linseed
Oil, Danish Oil, Tung Oil, Teak Oil, etc.

You've brought a cold substance into contact with a warm substance and
created condensation.

Allow the finish to come to the temperature of the material to be
finished and try again.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)