tonyp

Default OT-CNN: Bush Got Bounce From Dem Convention

"Ed Huntress" wrote

You wouldn't have to worry about that. Despite the appeal of Tony's idea
(and it does sound appealing), dropping that much debt on individuals would
bring consumer spending to a screeching halt and drive us into the deepest
depression in American history.

Just a quibble, Ed: we, us, individual Americans, are _already_ the ones who
owe the money. We just go on living (and voting) _as_if_ we don't. Would an
explicit acknowledgement of that reality "bring consumer spending to a
screeching halt"? I doubt it. Debt is not a novel concept to those of us who
carry mortgages, car loans, or credit card balances. Would it change our
_voting_ patterns? I say yes, and I say it would be for the better. I have no
clue whether "we" would vote to tax ourselves more, or spend less tax money on
ourselves, mind you.

Something like 60% of the American economy is consumer spending. You don't
play around with that. It's very sensitive to peoples' projections of
personal income versus debt. We can handle a lot of debt but, if you go over
a threshhold that appears to be around $15,000 or so per person, excluding
home mortgages and cars, everybody stops spending. Ask any retailer. They
watch that number like hawks.

Another quibble: _all_ spending is, ultimately, "consumer spending". Of course
I understand the importance of the intermediate step, namely "capital spending"
or whatever you want to call it. Feasting on the seed corn is counterproductive
at one extreme, devoting _all_ your labor to building "labor-saving devices" is
counterproductive at the other extreme. A proper balance between the two
depends, at least in part, on how deep in hock you are -- or, as I claim, on
_knowing_ how deep in hock you are.

-- Tony P.