Dave Plowman (News)

Default Angle Grinder...

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
If you get a 4 1/2" grinder, then buy samples of every abrasive disk
you can find for it. They increase the versatility enormously. Most of
the time I use flap wheels, or twisted wire cup wheels. Sometimes (for
working inside corners) I use a rigid disk, usually a cut disk. The
others see a range of use, but it's the flap wheels that do most of
the work.

Screwfix is a decent source for abrasives, but also try the 3M Beartex
from RS, the non-round sandpaper disks(sic) from the same source (they
don't leave scratches from the edge of a disk). The best flap wheels
are from CSM - they have a lighter backing than the Garryson, they
offer 120 grit, and they also have a top-quality range with a top
dressing - these are clogproof on most materials.

Interesting. I'm just repairing some secondhand doors for the old Rover
with the idea of swapping them once I've got them perfect.

I'm using an old red Wicks 4 1/2 with a twisted wire cup for cleaning
prior to welding, and a sort of angled semi flap type for grinding down
excess weld - there's plenty of that with me at the moment.

Changing the discs is a pain, so I'm thinking of a second grinder.

The old Wicks one has been fine and was cheap, but has a poor switch.

--
*Always borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.