Dan Caster

Default simple way to bend sheet metal?

Assuming that is a four foot by ten foot sheet of
aluminum.............

I would use two pieces of 2 inch angle and a couple of C-clamps to
clamp at where you want to bend. With .032 aluminum you can pretty
much bend it by hand, but a rubber or plastic mallet will give you
sharp corners. Some aluminum is prone to crack if bent sharply. Do
you know what alloy and heat treat your metal is? If not you might
want to bend a bit of a corner and see if it cracks. If it cracks,
then it needs to have more of a radius. You can put a radius on one
of the pieces of angle iron with an angle grinders ( quick ) or a
file ( slow ).

Dan

(Saturday7) wrote in message . com...
Hi all,

I need to bench a 4x10 piece of .032 aluminum
in two points along its length, both at 90 degree
angles. I've never worked with metal before
so I just want to make sure, is there an easy,
safe way to do this? I don't want to ruin a
$30 piece of metal.

Thanks.