The Fan

Default Newbie Craftsman table saw question

I've had a ryobi bt3000 for a few years, it has an aluminum fence that
does not deflect at all. Rock solid. There is a rod that runs down the
inside to the back that actuates a lever that locks the back end down
tight. IIRC, this saw or a version of it is/was being sold by Sears,
you may be able to see one when you are there.
One of the very most important things I looked for in a saw when
buying it was a stable fence, and in several stores was dissappointed
with most of the saws, until I realized most of them were not set up
and adjusted correctly. How any business could expect to sell
something like that, I'll never know. Sorta like a car dealer
displaying a car that does not run, or with the wheels so loose
they're falling off! The Ryobi was one of the few that were correctly
adjusted...

I feel EXACTLY the same way! They set up display models hoping to
INCREASE sales and end up scaring people away. How many customers walk up
and decide tehy DON'T want an item because it seems so "flimsy" when
proper setup would do the job.

I first noticed this about five years ago when shopping for cribs for our
first child. A particular brand had been highly rated, but all four floor
models were incredibly wobbly - so we got something else. Turns out they
had just been put together poorly and I needed to shop away from the
mega-stores. I've been learning my lesson slowly, but I have faith in
Craftsman tools going back generations.... I'd like to see them displayed
properly so I can choose the right one.

FWIW, I just bought one of the saws in question and noticed no deflection
on the floor model (though the iron extensions weren'y installed level
with the table). That Biesemeyer fence sure is nice though... it's just
out of my price range.