Don Stauffer

Default simple way to bend sheet metal?

One can make a simple temporary brake from a couple of pieces of hard
wood- actually one piece of hardwood and a couple of pieces of soft
wood. While I HAVE bent 032 on such setups, it is about the thickest
that will work with these. Cut the hardwood so that the corner is
somewhat acute- say about 75 degrees. Sand a bend radius on the edge.
For these temp brakes you need a generous bend allowance. After
clamping the piece of metal in the two pieces, use the third piece and a
hammer to SLOWLY push metal around the bend with a hammer on the third
piece.

Saturday7 wrote:
Hi all,

I need to bench a 4x10 piece of .032 aluminum
in two points along its length, both at 90 degree
angles. I've never worked with metal before
so I just want to make sure, is there an easy,
safe way to do this? I don't want to ruin a
$30 piece of metal.

Thanks.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota