Australopithecus scobis

Default Using a froe (Was: Cutting firewood with a table saw)

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 21:10:12 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 22:20:03 +0100, Andy Dingley
calmly ranted:

So why is it so bloody difficult to make a usable board then ?!
8-)

I've made plenty of firewood. But not yet something I can make
furniture from. The idea of a roof shingle industry based entirely on
the use of a froe doesn't seem too believable just now.

Practice makes pre^H^Herfect.

For previous post: find the Firefox books in your library (or your
bookshelf!). One of the first three (forgot which) has a fella making a
stack of shingles with a froe. You will not believe how big that stack is
in the photograph. IIRC, same volume has a guy making a chair with riven
wood. Regardless of my poor memory, find those books and you'll find the
techniques you're looking for.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"