jacob

Default Woodburners and dry lining

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message .1...
On 14 Jan 2004 04:25:12 -0800, 4-LOM wrote:

I'm planning to dry line the walls of a room with 2" battens, 2"
polystyrene between them and 1/2" plasterboard on top.

erm, no mention of any DPM or ventilation. You are just asking for
condenstation to form on the, now cold because of the insulation, wall
behind polystyrene.

I'm doing the same except 3" battens with 2" kingspan i.e. 1" gap
between plasterboard and insulation. Re condensation - seal gaps in
insulation with tape or foam filler and use plasterboard with foil
vapour barrier in back. The 1" gap is extra insulation and also sound
transmission reducing.
The woodburner will be about 6 to 9" from the wall and I intend to put
that asbestos substitute board whose name I've forgotten, behind the
stove and flue pipe. Or, if I can afford it - steel plates with black
stove finish - to absorb heat and radiate it back into the room. This
will even out heat transmission to the wall itself and reduce hot
spots.
I've already fitted the stove, a 'Firebug' from
http://www.dowlingstoves.com/ and we are very pleased with it. It also
burns sawdust by virtue of it's pyramid shape - i.e. the sawdust heap
in the stove settles slightly making an air gap all round and
combustion then takes place over the surface. i.e. 2 or 3 shovelfulls
at a time.

cheers

Jacob