dave in fairfax

Default Using a froe (Was: Cutting firewood with a table saw)

Andy Dingley wrote:
So why is it so bloody difficult to make a usable board then ?! 8-)
I've made plenty of firewood. But not yet something I can make
furniture from. The idea of a roof shingle industry based entirely on
the use of a froe doesn't seem too believable just now.

I suspect that there's a problem with your selection of wood. If
there is twist in the grain, you'll end up with a board that is
thicker at one end than the other as well as having winding.
Straight grain is very imortant if you are trying to make boards
as is type of wood. What have you been trying to split, and how
straight has the grain been? You haven't said exactly what the
problem has been, just that it hasn't been working out. Give me a
bit more of a clue, and maybe I can come up with a solution.
Remember that branches or other changes in grain with have very
bad effects on what you try to do.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader