Tim Douglass

Default Cutting firewood with a table saw

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:06:41 -0700, "CW" no adddress@spam free.com
wrote:

I agree. Saw mills used to use circular saws. Nothing but a big tablesaw.

"Robert Galloway" wrote in message
I agree with the idea that the bandsaw's "the" tool for the job but if
he makes a sled for the table saw and secures the pieces of "firewood"
to the sled, I think he's going to be safe enough. Free hand would be a
whole 'nother matter.

There *are* a few differences between a sawmill and a tablesaw besides
size. Probably the two biggest factors are the total size of the piece
(Very big for the sawmill, too massive to kick easily) and the
diameter of the blade vs the size of the piece. If you look at a lot
of old sawmill pics you will see saws that are 7-8 feet in diameter
cutting 2 foot logs. The point where the blade is in contact with the
tree is traveling almost vertically with relatively little angular
motion to generate kickback. The saws also have a rather wide set to
prevent binding.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com