dave in fairfax

Default Using a froe (Was: Cutting firewood with a table saw)

Andy Dingley wrote:
Any advice on using one ?
I'm planning a Welsh clamp-fronted ark, a 16th century reproduction,
and they need to be made of either quartersawn oak, or ideally riven
oak.

I'm not sure where to start. From your posts in the past it seems
that you have a good grip on using WW'g tools, so I'm unsure what
to tell you that you don't already know. At a very basic level,
choose wood that doesn't have knots, and has as straight a grain
as you can find. Sharpen the froe on one side only, and use a
wooden mallet, not a hammer or sledge. Depending on the twist in
the wood, you will have to split off oversized slabs. How
oversized, will have to be determined by you as you inspect the
wood. I hope that doesn't seem condescending, I really don't know
where to start. Please feel free to e-mail me, see the sig line,
if I can be of any assistance.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader