Franz Heymann

Default Was: Moss/Lichen on roof, now we are into pollution.

"IMM" wrote in message

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
.. .
"IMM" wrote in
:

A car has no insulation, as they produce so much waste heat the
engines can provide enough even in the coldest conditions. Adding
insulation, bonded to the cars sheet metal around the cabin, would
improve matters. The drive motors and batteries produce heat, so this
must be available for use.

And also add to the cost and weight...

Insulation should not add that much weight. Cost? Mass production will
bring that down.

I doubt that any heat would be available from motors if they are fitted
into the wheel hubs.

If they are. Most electric cars have one motor.

There may be problems supplying enough electrical power for the

demisters,
seat heaters (oops, well I have a Saab), and other things (maybe needing

heater for the screen/headlamp wash and other currently

unnecessary/rarely
fitted devices).

Cars are full of unnecessary crap which add cost and weight affecting fuel
consumption, such as rev counters.

Please have a feeling for quantitative matters. Your car is capable of
producing more than 10^5 watts and you are mithering about an instrument
which uses at most 5 watts to produce data which is very valuable for
enabling you to use the engine effectively?

Why does anyone need to know how much
the engine is revving in a normal road car?

Beats me. I know when it is
revving, I hear and feel it.

I find it a very useful device for helping me to decide on when to change
gear. It is more quantitarive than just "having a feel for it"

If it is revved too much the management system
cuts it out. An electric window on the drivers side is unnecessary too,

as
are electric sunroofs, which are a British fascination. The French don't
want to know them.

At last we are in agreement about something

Why isn't the a/c an absorption system using waste engine heat, instead of
taking power off the crank, reducing mpg?

Franz