Default How about Cutting firewood this way?

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:42:27 GMT, ray wrote:

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:20:27 +0000, Mike Marlow wrote:

That will certainly work, though it's a lot of work. Given your fear of
your table saw, maybe you should go that route though. If these are already
split, aren't the split faces flat enough to slide across your table saw
steadily? Unless your wood is really twisted it would seem (admittedly a
guess, since I cannot see the wood), that you are making more of this than
you need to.

Maybe you're right. The faces aren't really very flat; they rock back and
forth quite a bit on the table, but maybe I should just give it a shot.
I could hot-glue a shim under the high corner to stabilize the piece. I
don't have a planer either, and in the past I've put a decent face on
rough lumber using the router jig. It's quite a bit faster and (with my
limited skills) flatter than hand planing or beltsanding.

I think that anyone who isn't scared of the table saw is severely
lacking in imagination, since it's the tool that causes the most
accidents. In a way I envy more phlegmatic folks, but I guess
I'm more attached to my fingers than I am to my peace of mind. Ideally, I
suppose, a smart person would take all reasonable precautions, pay
attention, and not worry unduly. If at all possible, I try to devise a foolproof way of
making tricky cuts, so as not to rely at all on luck. I've probably got
more featherboards and pushsticks than anyone really needs. Hey, I drive
like a little old lady too.

flatten the faces before you get near the table saw. if the router
jig works for you, use it. planes are lotsa fun to use though.
consider getting one....