Charlie Self

Default Cutting firewood with a table saw

Mike Marlow writes:

I don't own a froe, so I defaulted to suggesting a wedge, which I have used
in the past. Now a froe... Charlie, my wife isn't going to be happy with
you...

You can fairly easily make a froe from an old car spring (flat style) and a
chunk of hickory. The spring already has a handle eye built in. Cut it. Heat
and bend the eye to where it will hold a vertical handle. Grind it to shape.
Sharpen moderately and whack it with a stick. Don't even have to buy a mallet.

Much straighter splits than you get with a wedge.

Which reminds me, I've got a brand new wedge to go in tomorrow's yard sale.
Never been used, and, according to my wife, never will be used. She doesn't
care for coal furnaces or wood stoves.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
Baker