davidmc

Default Problem w/ uneven stain

I an attempting to finish a chair made of white oak. I have already
applied a pigment stain, which looked great, but then I had problems
applying the Bartley's gel stain. The stain is uneven in some places,
probably b/c I either put it on too thick in places or did not rub it
down fast enough or well enough.

So my question is how do I get a nice even stain? Should I apply
another coat of stain and hope that evens it out, or do I need to fix
the problem before applying another coat? Is it possible to remove
the excess stain w/out removing all the stain and the underlying
pigment stain?

I appreciate whatever advice you can offer.